To help educate consumers so they will not become victims of fraudulent practices within the cleaning industry, the IICRC (Institute of Inspection Cleaning and Restoration) has released a list of guidelines to consider when selecting a carpet cleaner.
- Price – If an advertised price sounds too good to be true – it is! Often carpet cleaners advertise a low price just to get their foot in the door. Use common sense; a low price usually equates to low quality for any product or service. Legitimate business people have expenses they must cover, including license, taxes, insurance, employee wages, and benefits, and quality tools of the trade. A professional carpet cleaner who must cover all of these business expenses and make a profit to stay in the business cannot afford to drive to your house for $5.95, much less clean a room of carpet when there.
- Quality – Never should the price of cleaning services be the sole criterion for selecting a carpet cleaner. A price that sounds high may not be a signal of a rip-off. In all professions, quality work deserves a quality price.
- Truth in Advertising – Read the fine print in advertised specials to find out exactly what the price includes, and request a firm price in writing before the work begins.
- Training – Professional cleaning firms require management and employees to engage in formal training in a variety of cleaning disciplines, and these educational efforts will be ongoing. Consumers should ask about the formal training background of technicians who will be cleaning their carpet.
- Certification – Professional firms require technicians who have certification from organizations like the cleantrust or through comparable franchise or independent training and testing organizations.
- Experience – The years of experience a firm has, combined with formal training programs, contribute significantly to the experience and proficiency of its employees.
- Knowledgeable – Professional firms employ and train technicians who have the ability to answer basic questions regarding carpet performance and maintenance, as well as spotting and cleaning.
- References – Consumers should ask for references from previous customers, and they should consult friends and business acquaintances about the reputation of the cleaning firm they are considering. Do not hesitate to call the Chamber of Commerce.
- Trade Associations – Professional cleaning firms are members of regional or national trade associations or other organizations that promote high ethical standards and continuing education. Look for trade association logos in advertising.
- Credibility – Community involvement through the Chamber of Commerce and/or professional business, charitable or similar organizations will be undertaken by concerned, caring professionals. Look for logos indicating involvement in these organizations.
- Method – Ask the cleaner which method of cleaning will be used and the advantages and disadvantages of this method compared to other methods.
- Proof – Never hesitate to ask for proof. Ask to see the cleaner’s certification card, business license and insurance certificate.
- No Pressure – Technicians must be courteous and willing to take the time to thoroughly explain the cleaning and to answer all questions. The consumer should never feel pressured.
There is no single criterion for selecting a carpet cleaning service. Several combined factors must be considered in the selection decision.
Victoria Carpet Care is a proud member of the Westshore Chamber of Commerce and also a member of Ethical Services. All of our Cleaning Specialists are trained and certified by the IICRC. We strongley follow the code of conduct and guidelines set by the IICRC.
Victoria Carpet Care's goal is to become the one-stop shop for all things carpet & rug related. The other services we offer are: Floor Waxing, Polishing and Cleaning, High Heat Extraction, Carpet Cleaning, Upholstery Cleaning, Mattress Cleaning, Area Rug Cleaning, Tile and Grout Cleaning, Pet Stains and Odors, Odor Control, RV and Auto Interiors, Oriental Rug Cleaning, Leather Cleaning, Disinfectants, Carpet and Upholstery Protectors, Environmentally Friendly Green Cleaning Options and Furniture Cleaning.
Call Victoria Carpet Care at 250-474-7777 for a FREE evaluation on your cleaning needs or call our FREE 24 hour Consumer Awareness Message at 1-877-474-7577
Victoria Carpet Care is happy to provide our Carpet, Upholstery and Area Rug Cleaning Services to all of Greater Victoria, Sooke, Metchosin, Langford, Colwood, Saanich, View Royal, Sidney, Esquimalt and Oak Bay.